Everything you need to know about building regulations and planning applications, Let us help you get your house plans approved.


The easy way to understand planning applications and building regulations

If you are A) erecting a new building, B) adding or extending an existing building, C) equip a building with washing or sanitary facilities, examples on the PP website list: hot water cylinders, replacement windows, and fuel-burning appliances, you will need planning permission.

Everything you amend or build must continue to “meet the relevant technical requirements in the building regulations (PP)” which will detail briefly below. Essentially, however, you must ensure that whatever work you are carrying out continues to comply with health and safety practices, e.g. fire escapes and air supply.

It is important to understand the terminology BEFORE you begin the building work. Below is a direct copy of the list of what the term “building work” means from the Government website citing Government Building Regulations 2010, part 2, regulation 3:

Meaning of building work

3.—(1) In these Regulations “building work” means—

(a) the erection or extension of a building;

(b) the provision or extension of a controlled service or fitting in or in connection with a building;

(c) the material alteration of a building, or a controlled service or fitting, as mentioned in paragraph (2);

(d) work required by regulation 6 (requirements relating to material change of use);

(e) the insertion of insulating material into the cavity wall of a building;

(f) work involving the underpinning of a building;

(g) work required by regulation 22 (requirements relating to a change of energy status);

(h) work required by regulation 23 (requirements relating to thermal elements);

(i) work required by regulation 28 (consequential improvements to energy performance).

(2) An alteration is material for the purposes of these Regulations if the work, or any part of it, would at any stage result—

(a)in a building or controlled service or fitting not complying with a relevant requirement where previously it did; or

(b)in a building or controlled service or fitting which before the work commenced did not comply with a relevant requirement, being more unsatisfactory in relation to such a requirement.

(3) In paragraph (2) “relevant requirement” means any of the following applicable requirements of Schedule 1, namely—

  • Part A (structure)
  • paragraph B1 (means of warning and escape)
  • paragraph B3 (internal fire spread—structure)
  • paragraph B4 (external fire spread)
  • paragraph B5 (access and facilities for the fire service)
  • Part M (access to and use of buildings).

Even after you have approved planning permission and fulfilled building regulation requirements there still may be additional consents. These consents may be due to common land obligations, conservation areas, environmental permits, listed buildings and more. All of this can be a minefield to navigate, which is why many larger building or construction companies offer to do the planning permission for you. If you were wondering, then yes Mazter Homes is one of those companies.

Whilst we appreciate there is a lot to think about, there are a few important things to consider. First is ensuring your building site is always safe and secure, we recommend installing security locks, motion sensor lights and/or burglar alarms. Another concern is health and safety we have provided the link to the government legislation website detailing all the information needed –

Secured by Design gives the following advice in the link attached –